Thursday, December 1, 2011

Vayetze 5772

In this week’s parsha, eleven of Yaakov’s sons are born.  The parsha contains each of their names and the reasons Rachel and Leah, their mothers, give the children their names.  Each name reflects the emotions of the moment, and also directs the children’s destinies.  
Reuven: from the Hebrew re’eh, to see, meaning “G-d has seen my affliction.” [Leah]
Shimon: from the Hebrew shama, heard, meaning “G-d has heard that I am hated.” [Leah]
Levi:  from the Hebrew liva, attach, meaning “My husband will be attached to me.” [Leah]
Yehuda: from the Hebrew hoda’a, thanks, meaning “I will thank G-d.” [Leah]
Dan: from the Hebrew dan, judging, meaning “G-d has judged me.” [Born to Bilha, named by Rachel]
Naftali: from the Hebrew tefilla, prayer, meaning “My prayers were accepted.”  [Born to Bilha, named by Rachel]
Gad: from the Hebrew gad, luck, meaning “Good fortune has come.”  [Born to Zilpa, named by Leah]
Asher: from the Hebrew ashrai, fortunate or praised, meaning “I am praised/fortunate.” [Born to Zilpa, named by Leah]
Yissachar: from the Hebrew s’char, reward, meaning “G-d has given [me] my reward.” [Leah]
Zevulun: from the Hebrew zevul, dwelling place, meaning “My husband’s home will be with me.” [Leah]
Yosef: from the Hebrew hosif, add, meaning “May G-d add another son for me.” [Rachel]

Why did the matriarchs, rather than Yaakov, name the children?
  
Our Sages teach that each of Yaakov’s sons, who later become heads and namesakes of the Twelve Tribes, have their own distinct spiritual qualities, so the text must detail the origins of their names.  According to the Lubavitcher Rebbe, it is the matriarchs who provide the names because “just like it is the mother who nurtures the specific features of the child in her womb, so too the more detailed spiritual features of the Jewish nation were defined by our matriarchs.”

As parents, we should carefully consider the names we give our children.  Writes Rabbi Dr. Tzvi Hersh Weinreb on www.ou.org: “Rather than choose a name because [you] like the way it sounds or because of its popularity, [you] should select a name of a real person, someone who stood for something, someone your child could eventually emulate.” Not surprisingly, many names from Torah have withstood the test of time.  Bearers of these names have a meaningful and enduring connection to their forebears.

No comments:

Post a Comment